Checking the readings from the last band.

Checking the readings from the last band.

Tuesday 8 September 2009

Female Fronted Metal, it's not all a load of crap!

I wonder, why are most female fronted metal bands reeeeally lame? Don't get me wrong, there should be loads more ff metal bands out there! I'm all for it! It's just that the most immediate (and sadly, most successful) examples are all cheesey, gothy and mostly enjoyed by people who aren't into metal, but kind of like the rebellion that is associated with it (see Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Nightwish, and all the other power metal bollocks that sound exactly like Nightwish).

Although, I tend to feel that ff metal bands that aren't all gothic and operatic are still really poor metal. It might be the lack of screaming, ff bands don't tend to scream too much (which sucks because women will be able to screech like guys will never be able to) and I feel it let's them down. Take Flyleaf for example, not one of my recommended bands but perfectly respectable nonetheless; and the lead singer can SCREAM. The only trouble being that she doesn't scream nearly as much as she should! Here, watch this video for their song 'I'm So Sick':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCon0QojjYA



Did you hear that scream!? I wanted to hear more of that! It's a good song without more screaming but it might give the group a bit more authenticity as, I feel screaming a lot tends to make bands less accessible to those outside of the metal community, as it is it sounds a bit soft.

It's not all that bad though, the lack of awesome bands gives people like me something else to whine about, and also makes the bands that do exist that much more endearing!

For anyone interested, female fronted metal bands I would recommend include;

Khlyst


and Thorr's Hammer (both fronted by Runhild Gammelsæter)

iwrestledabearonce

the newest line up of Agorophobic Nosebleed

Matriarch (give it some time and you'll see what I mean)

The Agonist

and Arch Enemy (of course).



Thanks for reading people! If anyone has any other ff metal bands to recommend please don't be shy! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

At the very least, constructive criticism please.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.